Hey everyone, it is Jim, welcome to my recipe page. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, hellfire gumbo. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
To get started with this recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can cook hellfire gumbo using 23 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Hellfire Gumbo:
- Make ready 1 large yellow onion
- Get 8 garlic cloves
- Make ready 1 green bell pepper
- Make ready 1 Red bell pepper
- Take 4 chicken breasts (bone in skin on)
- Get 2 lb Pork Andouille Sausages
- Get 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- Get 1/2 lb Okra
- Prepare 2 Habanero peppers
- Get 1 cup flour
- Get 1 cup bacon grease
- Take 3 stalk Celery
- Prepare cayenne pepper
- Make ready white pepper
- Prepare ground black pepper
- Get sea salt
- Make ready thyme
- Make ready parsley flakes
- Make ready worcestershire sauce
- Take garlic powder
- Get gumbo filé
- Get 2 cup rice
- Make ready 4 bay leaf
Steps to make Hellfire Gumbo:
- In a large pot cover chicken breasts with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes drop in the sausages, piercing them about 3 times in front and back with a knife before.
- Pierce the habanero peppers with a knife and put them in the pot. Leave in the pot during entire cooking time to flavor the Gumbo then remove before serving.
- Mince garlic and finely chop about 1/4 of the onion, set aside separately for the roux
- Chop up the remaining onion,red and green bell peppers and celery and add to the pot.
- Remove chicken and sausage from pot and set aside
- Add can of fire roasted tomatoes and all seasonings to taste, to the pot, except for the Gumbo Filé
- In a large iron skillet, heat bacon grease on a medium to high flame, when grease is hot gradually stir in flour. This mix of grease and flour is the roux, and is a crucial part of the outcome of the Gumbo, try not to burn it. Keep stirring this mix for at least 10 minutes or until the roux starts to turn a light brown color, then add the onions, stir for another 5 minutes and add the garlic and continue to stir until the roux reaches a milk chocolatey color, also try not to let the garlic burn
- Once the roux is a nice brown color with caramelized onions and garlic, transfer the roux from the skillet to the Gumbo pot and stir in.
- Chop Okra I to 1/2 inch pieces and add to the Gumbo
- Take skin off the chicken and remove it from the bones and shred with your hands. Brown sausages on the skillet on high heat for about 6 minutes, chop into 1/2 inch slices and add to the Gumbo.
- Add Gumbo filé to taste, serve with rice and/or french bread and butter and enjoy. Garnish with habanero if you dare!
These more nutritious food choices can be applied to other foods such as your cooking oils. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat which can help to fight bad cholesterol. It also has vitamin E which is beneficial for your skin, among other things. While you may already consume a lot of fruits and vegetables, you might want to consider how fresh they are. If at all possible, try to buy organic produce that has not been sprayed with deadly chemicals. You will be sure that you’re getting the most nutritional benefits from your fresh produce if you can find a local supplier since you will be able to get the fruit when it is the freshest and ripest. As you can see, it’s not at all hard to start integrating healthy eating into your life.
So that’s going to wrap it up with this special food hellfire gumbo recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m sure that you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!